Applicants must submit the following items by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 April 2018 in order to be considered for the award:
1. A completed application form. The applicant has to indicate his/her level of career (e.g. whether he/she is a PhD student, a Post Doc, a Researcher, other).
2. One copy of the abstract of which the applicant is an author or co-author. The same abstract must be submitted separately to the 7th EuCheMS Chemistry Congress. Only abstracts that have been accepted for the Congress will be considered for the award.
3. A description of the research featured in the abstract (applicants can include also different specific points they want to add for the award). No more than two pages, including:
– The aim of the work and the state of the art.
– The originality of the work and the specific contribution of the applicant.
– Significant results and future directions.
4. One or a maximum of two letters of support for the presented research from an expert in the field. This can be from the applicant thesis advisor and/or another respected scientist.
5. A brief Curriculum Vitae, which has to be no longer than one page.
6. A copy of a document certifying the applicant age. Applicants must be less than 35 years old on 26 August 2018.
CRITERIA AND SELECTION PROCESS
The applications will be reviewed by a panel of Symposia Chairs from the 7th European Chemistry Congress and/or recognised scientific experts. On the basis of their evaluation a number of finalists will be selected. These finalists will be required to deliver a talk on their research at the European Young Chemists Award Competition Session during the Congress in Liverpool. The talk should focus on the topic presented in the abstract of the candidate but may be broader including other his/her researches. A panel of judges will then select the award winners. The decision of the judges is final.
The selection process will look for evidence of:
– Excellence in chemistry and related fields
– Originality and independent contribution
– Thoroughness and a depth of understanding of the research area
– Awareness of the future perspectives of their research
DEADLINE AND GENERAL INFORMATION
– Completed applications must be received by 16 April 2018. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
– Applicants can submit only one application.
– Finalists will be notified by the Award Chairs approximately four weeks before the 7th European Chemistry Congress and will be required to deliver a talk on their research (15 – 20 minutes) at the European Young Chemists Award Competition Session during the Congress in Liverpool.
– Finalists will also be requested to submit a head/shoulders photograph for display at the Congress.
This award is intended to honour and encourage younger chemists whose current research displays a high level of excellence and distinction. It seeks to recognise and reward younger chemists of exceptional ability who show promise for substantial future achievements in chemistry-related research fields.
The Italian Chemical Society (SCI) and the Consiglio Nazionale dei Chimici (CNC) will sponsor the award. Remuneration should be given by considering two levels of career: the PhD level and the 35 years old level. For each level one Gold, and two Silver Medals will be presented at a special Award Ceremony during the 7th EuCheMs Chemistry Congress. In addition the winners (both gold and silver medals) will receive an amount of money to be soon quantified. The total amount of the prizes including the medals value is about 6000 euro.
– Be less than 35 years old at 26 August 2018.
– Participate in the 7th EuCheMS Chemistry Congress as either an author or co-author of the
abstract submitted for consideration for the award.
– Be prepared to present, as a finalist, the research orally (15 – 20 minutes) at the European Young Chemists Award Competition Sessions during the Congress.